3.4.15

Elvis Presley Music is Still Thriving

I used to hang out at local '50s themed restaurant that played what we refer to today as the oldies, music from the '50s and '60... thumbnail 1 summary


I used to hang out at local '50s themed restaurant that played what we refer to today as the oldies, music from the '50s and '60s. More than any other band or musician, Elvis Presley music seemed to play all the time.

I did not think much about this, because along with The Beatles, Elvis was probably the most famous and prolific rock-and-roll musician of that time period, but as I started paying more attention to the music being played at stores, malls and several other locations, I realized that Elvis Presley music is still thriving 50 years later.

The first time that I really experienced this phenomenon was when I went to Barnes & Noble one day, and I saw a little girl, probably not more than 12 or 13 years old, in the music department with headphones on, mouthing the words to Heartbreak Hotel. She seemed a little embarrassed when she looked up and saw me smiling, so I said, You know that song?

She laughed and said she loved Elvis Presley music and had several of his albums. She was buying one of his greatest hits CDs at Barnes & Noble, because she said that there were some songs on the CD that she did not have among her collection.

A few weeks later, I was taking my kids to a roller skating rink, where all of the kids seemed to be having a pretty good time, but were rather subdued. Then Elvis Presley's song Hounddog started up, and all of the kids started whistling and cheering, and it just seemed like the speed of the rollerskating increased tremendously.

I grew up after the time of Elvis Presley's prominance, and I was always a big fan, but I am a big music fan in general and was pretty unaware of how well his music has endured. It is not only something that you hear, either, but you can see it in cinema as well.

The first movies that come to mind for me when I think about Elvis Presley music are Honeymoon in Vegas and 3,000 Miles to Graceland. I know that there are many more, but I saw those two movies were on the other day right around the same time, and what an interesting coincidence that was!

Elvis Presley music seems to play wherever I go thse days, and I can see that, even after all of these years, the King would be proud to know that his songs are played all the time and his music is still thriving. I guess there is a reason that Elvis Presley is from a genre of music often referred to as classic rock, because it never seems to go away.