23.12.14

I would love to spend all my days outdoors, but

I would love to spend all my days outdoors, but in reality that is not a possibility for me. I work at a pretty high stress corporate job, a... thumbnail 1 summary
I would love to spend all my days outdoors, but in reality that is not a possibility for me. I work at a pretty high stress corporate job, and it often has me at my wits end. Still, it is great to have a good stress relief for those difficult times. Whenever I am climbing walls, I go off to, well, climb walls. There is a great indoor climbing gym about About 20 minutes from where I live. I get my climbing gear, jump in the car, and clamber up the toughest climbing wall I can scale.

Many people assume that climbing is a difficult task that requires tremendous physical fitness. In some ways, this is true. To become an expert climber, you have to get very strong. You have to become slim, nimble, and develop both upper and lower body strength. Nonetheless, you don't need to be very strong to start. Climbing walls are designed to accommodate a variety of different technical levels. Even if you are just starting out, in hopelessly bad shape, and scared of heights, there is something for you to do. A good climbing gyms will have anything from easy low boulders to 20 foot climbing walls or more. It is just a matter of getting out there and doing it.

One of the great things about becoming a member of a climbing gym is that it is one of the easiest ways to get in shape. You do not have to do an exercise workout class, you do not have to have pass hours spent in aerobic training. Doing rock climbing does it all for you. You will have to have a few lessons at first, but it only takes a little bit of time to pick up the basics. Having an expert show you how to setup your gear properly, how to use a few basic holds and techniques, and what gear you need to select is pretty crucial. Once that happens, however, you can pretty much go out and play. You can spend as long wall climbing as you want, and come out looking fit and strong.

When I'm climbing walls, nothing else matters. I am completely focused in the moment like at no other time. Everything disappears from the world except for the next handhold, the next foothold, or the next place to rest. Some people find it scary and disorienting at first, but once you can give yourself over completely to the experience it is just exhilarating.