9.12.14

table manners

I have tried my hardest, but it seems that I cant teach my child table manners. She is resistant to the point where I wonder if someone is u... thumbnail 1 summary
I have tried my hardest, but it seems that I cant teach my child table manners. She is resistant to the point where I wonder if someone is un-training her when I am not looking. We work really hard to get her to say please and thank you but even after years of this, we have to keep reminding her. She doesnt seem to get the concept of eating over her plate so the food does not go all over her, and even though we tell her about this very single meal, she doesnt get it. I dont know what to do.

Its funny, because she watches a few childrens shows that promote table manners, among many other wonderful things. I know she knows what to do, but for some reason, she just wont do it. I guess I shouldnt be surprised. Shes a rebel and I know that I am in for some major battles when she gets older. However, I wonder what I am going to do if I cant even get her to learn or at least try to use her table manners. What must other moms think of me?

I know they probably dont think much about it. I know that I am not the only one with a child who couldnt care less about their table manners. It is almost comforting when I see other children who are my daughters age eating just like she does, and I see the looks of horror on their mothers faces and I know its not just me. Most of us are trying, but there seems to be some revolt against learning table manners.

Now that I think about it, I think its revolt in general. I think its just childhood, but since I cant remember that time in life very well, I would think that I probably did it too. I know that rebelling and trying to find things out on your own are a part of childhood, and is a great way for kids to learn about the world and about who they are going to be. However, if I had just one wish for this moment in time, it would be that she would use her table manners once in a while. I know she has them and knows them, but she just wont use them. There are bigger battles I suppose, but I for one am glad that this is my biggest worry with her at the moment.