23.12.14

Colorado Campgrounds

When you visit Colorado campgrounds, you are often faced with an interesting and difficult dilemma. There are many great campgrounds in Colo... thumbnail 1 summary
When you visit Colorado campgrounds, you are often faced with an interesting and difficult dilemma. There are many great campgrounds in Colorado, but the best of the best are also the hardest to get to. You can find a good Colorado campground with a good scenic view that anyone can go to. There are pullouts right along the road that are popular with motor campers pretty much all year round. However, with the Rocky Mountains nearby, it is tempting to push things a little bit and try the more rustic kind of camping. If you don't mind extreme temperatures, high altitudes, difficult hikes in, and a paucity of modern conveniences, Colorado Mountain camping might be for you.

Of course, if you're taking your first trip to Colorado campgrounds, it is best not to be too ambitious. A lot of people don't really realize how much they depend on modern conveniences until they really get out in the woods. In my first Colorado campground trip I was miserable. I didn't really know how to pack, so I brought clothes that weren't really suited for the environment I was in. I was burning up during the day, freezing at night, and generally cold and miserable. I also had a lot of trouble preparing my food, with the result that I was always hungry. Needless to say, it wasn't a great introduction to the world of outdoor camping.

Still, since then I have gained a lot of experience with Colorado campgrounds and I know what to expect. I know that if a campsite is at a high altitude, it is necessary to be prepared for very cold nights. I know about anchoring my tent properly to avoid having it blown out by the winds. I know to bring extra flashlights and maybe a portable stove or heat lamp. I also know to leave unnecessary luxuries out of my pack to make room for the stuff I really need.

Still, sometimes it is nice to go to more convenient Colorado campgrounds. As a matter of fact, sometimes I like to avoid camping all together and instead stay in a cabin. A rustic cabin will still give you the feeling of escaping from the hustle and bustle of a city environment, but without taking things to extremes. You'll be able to sleep comfortably, knowing that the walls around you are solid enough to keep out the wind. Sometimes it is nice to really rough it, but other times a little bit of comfort is welcome.